Thursday 24 April 2014

Dominik Diamonds are Forever - FIFA World Cup 2014

World Cup 2014 review





The “World Cup Fifa 2014, super-duper World Cup, FIFA” game is basically just FIFA 14, with slightly fuzzier graphics and a more arcade style control scheme. EA wants £40 (That’s 8 whole Bison Dollars) for it.



I’m tempted just to end the review there to be honest. I can’t think of anything else you’d really need to know about this game. If you’ve played FIFA 14, you’ll essentially already know exactly what to expect. If you haven’t played FIFA 14, you’ll find this reasonably easy to get in to. The difficulty has been toned down quite a bit, so newcomers and casual gamers (Who I think are the intended audience to be honest) should be able to adapt and thrive quite quickly.



One good thing about this game is that EA have bothered to shell out the money so that every team is represented here, along with real player names and kits. I decided to celebrate the occasion by playing as Wales, who are normally left out on the standard FIFA titles.



You can choose to dive straight into the World Cup or go through qualifying. If you’re playing as a lower ranked team, such as Wales, I suggest you play through the qualifying rounds. As qualifying progresses your player’s stats increase over the campaign, which is essential if you’re playing as a team with weaker players.



The amount of friendlies the game makes you play though is outrageous. If you pick a team in UEFA, the game starts in 2010 and you have to slog through about 7-8 friendlies before you even get to play a World Cup qualifier. I’ve not tried other confederations yet, so this might just be exclusive to UEFA. Still, it’s a massive pain. I’m all for an odd friendly here or there, but this is just overkill and feels very much like padding.



There are over 100 teams in the game for Crepes Sake! That’s plenty of replay time for idiots like me who want to win the whole shebang with Cook Islands “for a laugh”. I’m less inclined to do this now, as I just don’t have the time to wade through all the chuffing friendlies.



The gameplay for FIFA games is something where if you’re used to computer games, you’ll probably be able to pick them up without too much angst. The two button system is great for rookies who want a more simplistic game. People buying this game will either be FIFA fans already, like me, or probably lapsed FIFA fans who feel like playing the game during the tournament. There’s something here that will satisfy both groups to a certain extent, but the price is just too high in my opinion. This should be £20-£30 tops I think.



The gameplay been simplified and feels a bit, what’s the word I need here?, squashy in comparison to FIFA 14. It just feels at times like you’re riding a bike with stabilisers. The graphics also don’t seem to be as tight as on FIFA 14. It just looks a bit misty, a bit fuzzy and a bit less defined on this game for some reason.



And why can’t I change the captain during the match? Seriously EA, why can’t I do this? I mean, it seems like a pretty easy bit of programming that even you should be capable of.



Anyway, even though there isn’t anything technically wrong with this game as such, I just can’t recommend it because it just isn’t worth the £40 they want for it.



Rating - 0/10, because you shouldn't buy it and less because it's actually bad, if that makes any sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment